Research by the DRSCW shows that chloride is a proximate stressor in the Upper DuPage and Salt Creek river systems. This means that it was one of the variables that best correlates with biodiversity of fish and macroinvertebrates.
The DuPage River Salt Creek Workgroup (DRSCW) is seeking to reduce chloride water quality concentrations and achieve water quality standards in the water bodies within their area via education and outreach to local communities.
- Manual of Best Management Practices for Road Salt in Winter Maintenance. Clear Roads, November 2015.
- McHenry County Snow and Ice Manual
- How Deicing Chemicals Work – YouTube Video Clip
- DRSCW Product Memo
- Road Salt Application Rates Pages
- Chloride Phase Diagrams
- Ohio DOT: Salt Application Rate Guidelines
- Ohio Water Resources Council: Recommendations for Salt Storage, Feb. 2013
- Michigan DOT: Salt Bounce and Scatter Study, November 2012
Winter Deicing Workshops:
Find information on this year’s Winter Deicing Workshops here.